Dr Katarzyna Zielinska
Dr Katarzyna Zielińska is Assistant Professor at the Institute of Sociology at Jagiellonian University in Kraków. Her academic interests focus on Religion in Europe, theories of secularization, secularism, post-secular society, gender and democracy in Central Eastern European societies, transformations of collective identities in contemporary Europe and in the EU.
Most recent research projects include: 2015 – Researcher at the project Gender as factor differencing religious organisations. Gendered social practices and their interpretations in the Polish Catholic Mission organisations in England, Sweden and Belgium, coordinated by Dr Katarzyna Leszczyńska (AGH) and financed by the Polish National Science Centre. 2015 – Researcher at the project Public Discourse in Poland and Religion. Models of Legitimation in the Debates on Biopolitics between 2004-2014, coordinated by Professor Irena Borowik and financed by the Polish National Science Centre 2013– Researcher in the project Democratic Control and Legitimisation in European Foreign Policy: The Case Study of EU Enlargement Policy and European Neighbourhood Policy, financed by the Polish National Science Centre. 2012– Researcher in the project Religion and Human Rights, Wurzburg University. 2011– Coordinator of the project Religion in the Polish Politics in the Context of European Integration, financed by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education.
- Feeding the Body, Feeding the Gender: Dietary Choices of Men and Women in Poland (with Ewa Kopczyńska) East European Politics & Societies, 30(1): 147-168. 2016.
- The Roman Catholic Church and Human Rights in Poland. In: H. Ziebertz, F. Cripic (eds) Religion and Human Rights, Springer, 137-149. 2015.
- Gender Democracy in Poland: an Empty Shell? In: Y. Galligan (ed) States of Democracy: a gender view, Routledge, 119-136. ‘Concepts of Religion in Debates on Secularization', Approaching Religion, 3(1):16–24, 2013.
- ‘Feminizm a demokracja – krytyka i reinterpretacja' [Feminism and Democracy – Criticism and Reinterpretation], Studia Humanistyczne, 11(2): 18–92, 2012.
- ‘Religious Education in Poland', in D. Davis and E. Miroshnikova (eds) The Routledge International Handbook of Religious Education, Routledge, with M. Zwierżdżyński, 2012.
- ‘Challenging the Nation. Polish Women's Quest for Democracy and Justice', in M. Góra, Z. Mach and K. Zielińska (eds) Collective Identity and Democracy in the Enlarging Europe, Peter Lang, 2012.
- ‘Europeanisation in the EU New Member States: Aspects and Research Agendas', in M. Góra and K. Zielińska (eds) Democracy, State and Society – European Integration in Central and Eastern Europe, Jagiellonian University Press, with M. Góra, 2011.
Courses taught at CES
- European Civilisation (seminar)
- Gender, Democracy and Citizenship in Central and Eastern Europe