Practical Information

» Predeparture information


Studying abroad is an exciting and life-changing experience. However, there are several practical steps you still need to complete before your trip so that you are well-prepared and ready to begin your adventure in Poland. 


Non-EU Citizens

Non-EU citizens are required by Polish law to obtain a "student visa", officially called the national long-stay visa (type D), from the Polish consulate in their home country. This visa allows the student to enter and stay in Poland until the end of the visa's validity (365 days maximum). Students are advised to apply for a multiple-entry visa, which will allow them to travel around the Schengen area for a period of 90 days maximum.

A full list of Polish Consulates abroad is available here.

In order to start the visa application process, the applicant needs to go to the "e-Konsulat" website and choose the nearest Polish Consulate in his or her country: e- Konsulat website.

For full information about the student visa process, please contact Duszan Augustyn at . 

» Legalising your stay in Poalnd

Legalizing Your Stay in Poland

Whether you're an EU citizen or not, you probably have a lot of questions about the administrative and legal side of studying in Poland. Please find below some helpful tips that are meant to introduce you to the process. More information is always distributed once a student has been accepted into the programme.


Citizens of many countries may enter Poland without a visa on the basis of visa-free travel agreement. For example, citizens of the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Croatia, Serbia, and Japan may enter the country and stay for 90 days. These students may only stay for 90 days within each half-year period, which means a total of 180 days out of any 365-day period on visa-free basis. If the student overstays their allotted time, they may be liable for a fine and/or even be asked to leave the country.That is why, we strongly recommend to non-EU students to get a visa for the first year of their studies in Poland before they arrive.

Citizens of the 27 member states of the European Union do not need a visa to enter Poland. However, officially, a passport is required to enter Poland with the intention of studying. EU citizens may cross with other forms of identification (national ID) for stays of less than 90 days.

After arriving to Poland, the EU students should register their stay at a regional department for foreigner's affairs.  The staff of the Centre for European Studies will be able to help you when dealing with this office.

Polish law requires that all non-EU citizens who wish to study in Poland must get a "student" visa, officially called the national long-stay visa (type D)from the Polish Consulate in their home country.

A full list of Polish Consulates abroad is available here.

In order to start the visa application process, the applicant needs to go to the "e-Konsulat" website and choose the nearest Polish Consulate in his or her country. To make an appointment, click here.

Students must make an appointment and file the application in person.

» Housing


All students enrolled in the CES MA programmes are guaranteed a place in our halls of residence. Alternatively students may also also rent a private apartment.


The cheapest housing option for students are the halls of residence. For CES  students, rooms are available in the following dorms: 


ul. Rejmonta 11, 30-059 Krakow, Poland
tel. +48 12 37 81 300

ul. Piastowska 47, 30-067 Krakow, Poland

tel. +48 12 62 23 300


Al. 3 maja 5, 30-063 Krakow, Poland
tel. +48 12 62 21 100

Rooms consist in two and three-person rooms that are furnished. The cost per person is currently 345 zł per month, which includes utilities and internet access.

Living in the dorms is convenient and cheap. The dorms are located in the center of the city and are near to CES classes (10-15 minutes walk). It also provides a good opportunity to meet other Polish and international students.

Please be advised that students also have to pay a 200 zł. deposit, which will be refunded at the end of the students' stay, if no damages are incurred.

For a peak at the dorm rooms, take a look at our Housing Photo Gallery.


Although the Jagiellonian University is able to offer all students a spot in the halls of residence, some choose to rent private flats while studying in Krakow.

On the one hand, living in a private flat allows you to control your environment to a greater extent than you could in the halls of residence. On the other hand, obtaining a temporary residence card may be slightly more difficult if you live in a private flat. Private flats are much more expensive than the halls of residence.

The Centre for European Studies will have a staff member who will be responsible for researching available flats in Krakow. He/she will make appointments with the owners of the flats. He/she will be available throughout the day to visit the flats with the students, and will also help students negotiate the terms of the contract with the owner of the property.

We will do our best to assist our students, but the Jagiellonian University cannot be held responsible for contracts between students and third parties.

» Student Life

Student Life at the Jagiellonian

Krakow is one of the most exciting and fun cities in Europe. It is a great city for young people, who may enjoy its charming cafes, unique movie theaters, intriguing museums, and lively nightlife. Student life revolves around the Rynek, the main square in the centre of the city, and Kazimierz, the old Jewish district. We highly encourage CES students to take advantage of all that there is to discover.

Here is a selection of websites that can introduce you to the wide range of activities and events Krakow has to offer:

Magiczny Kraków
Official city website

Reliable guide to museums, galleries, concerts, and other cultural events

Cracow Life
City guide and listings

Krakow Post
Local English-language newspaper 
A useful guide on Poland and Krakow

Lonely Planet Guide to Krakow

Jak Dojade
A very useful website for navigating the public transportation in Krakow


Local public transport

National Train Service

Balice Airport
Krakow's International Airport

» Health and Safety

Health and Safety

There is nothing more important than your safety and well-being while abroad. That's why we've compiled these lists of requirements, recommendations and tips that can help you stay your most healthy and safe. While an issue is unlikely to arise, should an unpleasant situation surface, the CES staff is available and able to be reached by phone 24 hours a day.


Students are required to have health and accident coverage for the whole of their stay. When applying for a student visa, students are expected to have health insurance from their home country. Medical, accident and life insurance are the responsibility of the student at the Jagiellonian University. The staff at the Centre for European Studies will be happy to advise and assist our students with any aspect of medical care, but responsibility for registering for, purchasing and maintaining appropriate insurance remains with the student. The Jagiellonian University cannot assume responsibility or liability for any medical needs not covered by the student's existing coverage.

It is also possible, although not as likely to be necessary, to purchase a wide variety of additional insurance plans from private companies in Poland.


Should you get sick while in Krakow, there are plenty of English-speaking doctors and clinics around town. The CES staff is also available to make appointments and accompany students to their visit, in case of any linguistic concerns or just for support.


The Centre for European Studies recommends the following saftey precautions when travelling in a new and foreign country:

  • Use common sense
  • Make photocopies of your credit and debit cards as well as your passport and ids
  • Don't travel at night alone. Take precaution and call a taxi - they are relatively cheap.
  • Avoid large clubs. They are often tourist traps and people may often be scammed.
  • Watch your pocketbooks and backpacks. Do no leave any belongings unattended.
  • Close the doors to your dorm rooms and apartments.


It is necessary to highlight the student conduct code at the Centre for European Studies, which is sternly upheld. None of the below mentioned examples of misconduct will be tolerated and may result in disciplinary action:

  • Violation of law,
  • Abuse of alcohol, and use or abuse of illegal drugs,
  • Academic misconduct, including plagarism and cheating,
  • Assault or Sexual Assault,
  • Vandalism of public property or disruption of peace in the community.


In case of emergency, our dedicated staff is available by phone 24/7. The following is a list of important phone numbers that you should have saved in your cellphone for the duration your stay:

U.S. EMBASSY (Warsaw)
Aleje Ujazdowskie 29/31, 00-540 Warsaw
Telephone: (48)(22) 504-2784
Emergency Number: (48)(22) 504-2000

Ul. Stolarska 9, 31-043 Krakow
Telephone: (48)(12)424-5100
Emergency Number: (48) 601-483-348

Ul. Garbarska 7A, 31-131 Krakow
Emergency Number(s): Justyna (48) 507-006-572, Sylwia (48) 506-006-661





Many callers use 999 (offically for medical emergencies) as a general number for all types of emergencies. 998 will reach the Fire Brigade and 997 reaches the national Police.

Municipal Police of Krakow, 986, is a seperate institution working alongside the national Police.

Another useful number is 992 for emergencies related to gas pipes and installations.

The Jagiellonian University does not have a closely-integrated campus. Therefore, although there are security staff in the main administrative buildings, they would not normally be called to respond to security situations outside of their posted buildings. There is also a crisis response team (for natural disasters, acts of terrorism, etc) but they usually work via building administrators. The national Police and the Municipal Police play the role that 'campus police' would play on some university campuses, so students are encouraged to use the 997 number above for police emergencies.

The main number for the Jagiellonian University is +48 12 422 1033.